The House of Wood...and brick

An American family of 5 plus a dog...Experience the CHAOS!

The family on top of Mount Evans

Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Future...

One of my best friends is an instructor at one of the satellite schools for the University of Minnesota. She has her masters degree in paleoanthropology and has participated in several digs around the world. Since having children she has started teaching at the university level as way to supplement the family income.

During one of our talks, she mentioned to me that she is concerned about the course she is teaching this semester as the mean grade on her last exam was a D. She continues... She tells me about the syllabus, the daily lecture outlines that she gives before each lecture, and the four to five page exam study sheet (which she tells them is all inclusive of the material that will be on the exam) and still the students are at a D level.

What! Basically all the students have to do is show up to class. They don't even need to take notes because she has a lecture outline available and maybe review with an all inclusive study guide before the exam and surely they should be able to get a C. Isn't nine-tenths of life is just showing up.

So as a parent and college graduate, I find this appalling. And I hope all of you do, too. College the last step before entering the "real world" and this how we are prepping our next generation. Now, I really don't want to debate the generation XYZ crap. As part of Gen X, I find all that just a bunch of rubbish. But what I do think is relevant (which might be a generational issue) is that these students have any accountability for their performance and no respect for the accomplishments. Is this upbringing, technology, nature, nurture, blah, blah, blah? I don't know, but it is scary. I know that when I went to university, there wasn't an outline for each lecture. I was expected to attend class and take notes, read the text, and study for exams, PERIOD!

So I advised my friend to stop with all the study aids. Then, she said, my teacher evaluations will drop and I might not get my contract renewed. Here inlays the problem. She is evaluated as a teaching professional by those she is trying to educate, who couldn't care in the least bit whether they learn the material or not or for that matter earn a passing grade. These students will be in the professional workforce with a bachelors degree no less in a few years. Do they think their employer is going to provide them with an outline for their project? This is seriously setting them up for failure.

By the way, isn't college expensive? I wonder who is footing the bill for all this incompetence? Something to think about for all of you who have college funds building for your young ones... The best successes are the those accomplished on your own with accountability, persistence, determination and hard work. With love, these are my parenting values. Hopefully, I am giving my kids the recipe for success (however defined) and happiness.

6 comments:

LaDawn said...

OMG - Watch Steph rant!

Janell said...

You're right, it is setting them up for failure. No matter what age we are, we learn more from the things we encounter that cause us difficulty than we do from the things that were made easy for us. Your statement "She is evaluated as a teaching professional by those she is trying to educate, who couldn't care in the least bit whether they learn the material or not or for that matter earn a passing grade" is at the core of this problem. She has to resort ti teaching methods that teach them how to fail so that she doesn't fail?
What's wrong with this picture?!
I'm with you - go to class, take notes, read and STUDY. "...accountability, persistence, determination and hard work."
Rant and rave on, Girl!

Brooke said...

This is unfortnately my generation and it makes me absolutely sick. I work hard for everything I do. So maybe I didn't finish college but if I was to go back and do it I would make sure I did what the teacher said. People that would degrade the teacher because they didn't pass need there head examined. It most likely isn't the teachers fault its their own. I feel bad for your friend Steph. Hopefully she can figure something out to teach these morons a lesson.

Anonymous said...

I have a son in college and it has been observed that he studies nowhere at the level or intensity that his dad and I did. The people who are coming into the work force today - in my line of work - expect to have the same opportunities open to them as I have had and they want it immediately. I had to work so hard these 30 odd years and here is a person who can get certified without a 3 or 4 year college degree and do what I do! I hope your friend finds a solution somehow. It would be a shame to receive a bachelors or masters without the sweat equity. -Sugar

Sue said...

Having been in the workforce for more than 40 years, I have observed how bad the work ethic has become. So many young workers do only what they have to to get by and then wonder why they don't get ahead.
(Just clicked on this link from Ladawn's blog) In case you are wondering, I am Janell's sister.
Sue

stephanie said...

Welcome Sue and Sugar. Thank you for your comments.