The House of Wood...and brick

An American family of 5 plus a dog...Experience the CHAOS!

The family on top of Mount Evans

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Pumpkin Carving Party


For the past 2 years, I have hosted a Pumpkin Carving Party for the neighborhood kids who are in our acquaintance. We plan it for outside and start praying to the Mother Nature in late July for good weather (at least dry weather). She has not disappointed yet. This year, we had 15 kids and their parents for a total of 35 carvers. Our house sits on a 1/2 acre (doesn't sound much for my rural readers) but this is quite large here in the city. It is the perfect venue for carving tables in the yard (wood set on blocks and covered with plastic). Cider, withes brew and punch in a cauldron on the back porch and a potluck staring Chili and Butternut Squash Soup. The menu concluded with a pumpkin-styled cake and pumpkin pie.

Audrey along with her buddies crafted scary faces with googly eyes and scars. Creighton took on the project as a personal quest. He cut the lid, cleaned the pumpkin, designed and carved the face all on his own. He would not allow any help. His Jack O'lantern is a classic masterpiece. While Carson, hummmmm, he scribbled out a face and then talked someone else into carving it. He was too busy chasing his friends around in the "Jungle" as the kids call the bottom half of the yard.

I have so much fun watching the pumpkins transform into Jack O'lanterns, seeing my community of families turn into my village, and experiencing the last days of autumn as they slip into winter's slumber. I received one of the best compliments of my life from one of the moms who has become a good friend. She said. "You make it look so easy." Thank you, Susan. I love to host this event and I will have it every year until no one wants to come.

7 comments:

Brooke said...

sounds like a lot of fun. Great job on the pumpkins. Enjoy coming to ur blog and seeing new stuff.

Carrie Sargent said...

What a fun tradition! I love it. Happy Halloween!

Janell said...

What a nice colelction of Jack O Lanterns! And an even better collection of photos. Well done!

Janell said...

I meant "colelction." (I don't know what a colelction is?)

Janell said...

Still got it wrong, didn't I? COLLECTION! There. I can do it if I type slow, so I hope you don't read fast.

LaDawn said...

Looks like loads of fun!

Janell said...

Steph, you are supposed to be blogging while LDCP is in France. Actually, you should blog even when she isn't in France. Consider yourself nudged.